Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Expanding the smoking ban to outdoors

I was reading this article titled, opposing views: take protection outside, followed by “Smoking bans in outdoor places protect health and reduce trash,” would be a great title if it was true. I mean come on if you look at Americans we produce millions of tons of trash each year and look how healthy Americans are not. Look how we rank as far as fattest country in the world. If we are so concerned on protecting are health we would not feed are kids or are selves McDonalds and foods with growth hormones in them. The article has good information are far as what cities and states have this new outdoor smoking ban.
The part I don’t understand is the writer writes as follow “Smoke-free outdoor spaces are quickly becoming the national norm, and we have the science and public support to continue moving in this direction,” first off what direction and what science. Not sure what the writing was trying to say but I wonder if this person has ever been overseas. I was station in Germany for several years where smoking is allowed everywhere and really don’t see the big deal. Then the science behind the writer argument is a California Air Resources Board news release. I mean California is like one of the most polluted states in the country so not sure if that has any creditability.
The Conclusion is good with more good information about how cigarette butts end up in our parks and beaches. I have never smoked cigarettes before in my life but think there are many other things we need to worry about as a country. This article has made me go toward all the smokers out there. I mean we are treating these people like they have the flu or some sort of air borne disease. Like I said before if we are so worried about health and well being then let’s focus on healthier fast food and recycling more.

No comments:

Post a Comment